Take your fruit servings much beyond an apple a day, and check out these wonderful recipes. I do not want to say anything more. Remember to try out these recipes and I am sure you will thank me as you taste them.
Basil Lime Fruit Salad
Lime and basil make this fruit salad extremely colorful and tasty. To speed up the preparation process, chop the fruit and make the infused syrup from beforehand. Keep the two separately refrigerated. Mix syrup and fruit together prior to serving.
- Water, 1/2 cup
- Sugar, 1/2 cup
- Lime rind, grated, 1 tablespoon
- Basil leaves, packed, 1/2 cup
- 1 pound strawberries, quartered, 3 cups
- 1 medium pineapple, cubed, 4 cups
- 4 kiwifruit, peeled, lengthwise halved, sliced, around 1 1/2 cups
- 2 large mangoes, peeled and cubed, 2 cups
Combine ½ cup water along with sugar in a saucepan. Boil the ingredients. Cook for around one minute or till you find that the sugar has dissolved. Take it away from flame and stir in rind and basil. Once you cool it, take a fine mesh and strain the mixture of sugar and water through it into a bowl. As you do it, discard the solids.
In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients including the pineapple. Gently toss after drizzling with the sugar blend.
Stuffed Dates Wrapped in Prosciutto
This dish, which happens to be a delightful appetizer, is a wonderful combination of the salty, savory and sweet. You will love this dish and so will your guests. Another exciting thing is that you just need six ingredients to make this dish.
- Goat cheese, ¾ cup
- Fresh thyme, chopped, 1 tablespoon
- Minced shallots, 1 tablespoon
- Black pepper, freshly ground, ¼ teaspoon
- Prosciutto, 6 thin slices
- Whole pitted dates, 24 in number
Get the oven preheated to 350 degrees.
Take the first four ingredients and combine them in a bowl. Get the dates lengthwise sliced without cutting through the other side. Open each date and put in about one teaspoon cheese mixture. Take one prosciutto and make it into 4 similar sized pieces by cutting half lengthwise followed by crosswise. Repeat the procedure with the other prosciutto slices, making a total of 24 pieces.
Take the prosciutto pieces and wrap one date with each. Then over a parchment paper lined baking sheet, place the dates. Bake in the preheated oven for around 10 minutes or till you find that the filling within is completely heated up. Serve as soon as ready.
Chocolate Amaretti Peaches
Try out this refreshing yet simple peachy dessert and I am sure the entire family will love it. Amaretti cookies make this dish all the more delicious with their crunchy texture and unique amaretto-almond flavor.
- Brown sugar, 2 tablespoons
- Crushed amaretti cookies, 1/2 cup (around 8 cookies)
- Ripe peaches, 4 large, halved and pitted
- Butter, 8 teaspoons
- Cooking spray
- Bittersweet chocolate, 1 ounce, shaved
Get the broiler pre-heated.
Take a small bowl and in it, mix sugar with cookie crumbs.
Take the peach halves and make their center hollow with the help of a melon baller. Take the cookie crumb mixture (about one rounded tablespoon for each peach half), and fill the peach halves. Over each of the filled halves, place about 1 teaspoon of butter. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes till you find that the butter has melted. Evenly dust out with chocolate. Prior to serving, cool for approximately 5 minutes.
Avocado Strawberry Salsa
This salsa is sweet and delicious and you can serve it will sautéed fish or grilled chicken. If you want, you can also munch on it during snack time with some baked tortilla chips.
- Avocado, peeled, finely chopped, 1/4 cup
- Strawberries, finely chopped, 1 cup
- Red onion, finely chopped, 2 tablespoons
- Lime rind, grated, 1/2 teaspoon
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, 2 tablespoons
- Jalapeño pepper, seeded, finely chopped, 2 teaspoons
- Fresh lime juice, 2 tablespoons
- Sugar, 1/4 teaspoon
Take all the ingredients in a medium sized bowl, and gently toss to combine. Serve as soon as mixed.
Ginger, Apple and Carrot Refresher
This is a wonderfully tasty refresher that is low on fat and tastes awesome. Prepare it in a jiffy and enjoy with your family.
- Unsweetened applesauce, 1/2 cup
- 100% carrot juice, chilled, 1/2 cup
- Fresh ginger, peeled, grated, 1/2 teaspoon
- Fresh lemon juice, 1 teaspoon
- Fat-free yogurt, vanilla flavored, 1/2 cup
- 5 ice cubes
- Ripe banana, frozen, 1 slice
In a blender, mix all the ingredients together for about 2 minutes. Serve as soon as you get a smooth mixture.
Dried Fruit and Wheat Berry Salad
If you are planning to prepare this salad, make sure to get the wheat berries soaked two days before. The combination of sweet and savory flavor makes this dish quite unique. Moreover, it is extremely high on fiber.
- Uncooked wheat berries, 1 cup
- Water, 3 cups
- Minced shallots, 1/2 cup
- Vegetable oil, 2 tablespoons
- Raspberry vinegar, 3 tablespoons
- Cranberry juice, 1/4 cup
- Dijon mustard, 2 teaspoons
- Balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon
- Salt, 1/2 teaspoon
- Dried cranberries, coarsely chopped, 1/2 cup
- Gouda cheese, diced, 1/2 cup
- Dried cherries, coarsely chopped, 1/2 cup
- Black pepper, freshly ground, 1/4 teaspoon
- Green onions, chopped, 1/3 cup
- Dried currants, 1/4 cup
- Slivered almonds, toasted 1/3 cup
Mix wheat berries and water in a medium sized saucepan. Boil the mixture. Simmer for around 60 minutes, by reducing heat and covering. Rinse in water (mildly cold) after draining.
In a large bowl, combine shallots with vegetable oil, raspberry vinegar, cranberry juice, mustard, balsamic vinegar and salt. Allow 30 minutes for the mixture to stand.
Add cranberries, wheat berries, and the other items to vinaigrette, and combine by tossing. Chill overnight for a minimum of 4 hours.